et

ETOSHA NATIONAL PARK

Directions to Etosha National Park

Etosha is approximately 6 hours from Windhoek by road. The road is good tarmac and can easily be driven in one day.

By the Eastern route, Etosha is 553km north of Windhoek. Drive to Von Lindenquist Gate via Otjiwarongo and Tsumeb, then to Namutoni rest camp, which is approximately 11km inside the park. The road is tarred all the way.

Distance table for travel in Namibia:

Ariamsvlei / Nakop
1118 Buitepos
1003 115 Gobabis
1250 772 657 Grootfontein
1223 745 630 645 Hentiesbay
1261 783 668 425 345 Kamanjab
333 802 687 934 907 945 Keetmanshoop
579 1136 1021 1268 923 1279 334 Lüderitz
537 581 466 713 686 724 221 555 Mariental
1331 853 738 167 677 506 1015 1349 794 Namutoni
306 1106 991 1238 1211 1249 304 609 525 1319 Noordoewer
1233 755 640 397 579 262 917 1253 696 123 1221 Okaukuejo
1471 993 878 307 817 646 1155 1489 934 210 1459 333 Ondangwa
1043 565 450 207 389 218 727 1061 506 288 1031 190 428 Otjiwarongo
1658 1180 1065 494 1143 272 1342 1676 1121 469 1646 534 187 615 Ruacana
1498 1020 905 248 893 645 1182 1516 961 415 1486 617 555 455 742 Rundu
1156 678 563 578 67 412 840 731 619 659 1144 561 799 371 684 826 Swakopmund
1224 746 631 60 570 399 907 1242 687 107 1241 345 247 181 434 308 552 Tsumeb
798 320 205 452 466 463 482 816 261 533 786 435 673 245 860 700 356 426 Windhoek

 

Entrance Gates for Etosha National Park:

The entrance gate to the park in the east is called Andersson Gate in honour of the explorer Charles Andersson who teamed with Francis Galton to become the first Europeans to record the existence of Etosha Pan when they reached Namutoni in 1851.

Von Lindequist Gate is the eastern entrance to the park. The name is in honour of the Governor of the then German South West Africa who had the foresight to proclaim Etosha a game reserve on 22 March 1907.

The Galton Gate is the western entrance to the park. The name is in honour of the explorer Francis Galton who was the first European together with Charles Andersson to see the Etosha Pan in 1851.

A fourth gate is now open, namely the Nehale Lya Mpingana Gate. The gate is named after a king of the former Owamboland. The gate is near Andoni Plains.

In the western part of the park, there is a fourth camp called Otjovazandu. It is not a rest camp but just a station for park staff working in that region. The correct spelling is Otjovazandu and the meaning of it is “place of the young men”. Warriors use to utilise the nearby perennial spring as an outpost for watering their cattle.

Social LikeBox & Feed plugin Powered By Weblizar